Friday, May 6, 2011

The Sisterhood of....Something or Another

So today I'm going to venture away from motherhood a bit and just tell a story that is more so about sisterhood. Not the traveling pants kind. Just the regular "no traveling of outwear involved" kind. I'm sure you won't mind. I don't mind and since this is my blog, that's what we're doing. Here's how today's story begins.....

Split ends. They drive me crazy. However, I never seem to have the time -or money for that matter- to go get my hair cut every, as recommended, 6-8 weeks. Really? 6-8 weeks? That is like no time at all. Is the hair cutting world unaware that I have two kids, a husband, a business and a million other obligations that come before my hair? So, like many of you other mom's I'm sure, it's often more like 6-8 months and usually even longer between my hair cuts. My ends hate me for this. By the time I finally make an appointment they are stretching out in every direction begging for someone to trim them. My hair lady, Fran, doesn't give me a hard time about this. She's awesome. Twisted Heads Salon in Denton is the way to go. So, getting to the actual story, last night was my twice yearly hair cut appointment. My younger sister, (I usually say "little sister" but that seems to imply that she is like 10 and although sometimes I still expect her to be 10 instead of a grown-up 19, she is not, so I'll use "younger" to make her not sound pre-pupecent), Kelly needed a hair cut too so she met me up there. We both totally loved our new 'do's and afterwards we went to dinner at Chili's. Chili's is kind of our home front. When we used to be rich teenagers we'd go there at least twice a week. How I didn't weigh 400 lbs is beyond me. Their chips and salsa make me drool just thinking about them. Since yesterday was Cinco de Mayo, Chili's was all decked out in Mardi Gras colors with beads and everything which of course makes perfect sense. I'm sure all the Hispanics in town greatly appreciated it. Our waiter had a bunch of necklaces on and he looked totally thrilled about it.

The best part of dinner came when we were getting ready to order. It took us like 9 years to figure out what we wanted in part because apparently Kelly is now a vegetarian so there was basically nothing for her to eat there and in part because every time we tried to look at the menu we'd just end up talking for another 15 minutes and totally forget about the menu. I had figured out what I wanted but Kelly hadn't. She needed to ask the waiter a question. This is an accurate portrayal of how that went down:
Kelly: Hey, PJ. I have a question.
PJ: Yes?
Kelly: Is your chicken ve.....? Oh my gosh! Nevermind! *laughing* Oh my gosh I was seriously just about to ask if your chicken was vegetarian! *laughing* Oh no! But it's because I just.....*laughing*
PJ: *blankest stare humanly possible* *jaw on the floor* *mind racing to figure out how he can possibly answer that and not lose his job*
Me: *DYING laughing*
Kelly: I only read "Green Chili Soup" I was going to ask if that was vegetarian!
Me: PJ, you should really just walk away from this situation. 
PJ: *did as I suggested*
I love my sister. So needless to say we spent the next few moments laughing hysterically like a rabid pack of hyenas. When PJ had collected himself enough to venture back over to our table Kelly ordered the very healthy and very vegetarian Alfredo pasta with broccoli and I ordered the same except hold the Alfredo pasta, replace it with chicken nachos and sub the broccoli for guac. We ate and then it came time for dessert. Of course the only suitable thing to do was to order the dessert dripping in ice cream, hot fudge, caramel, chocolate chips and 3,000 calories. I didn't make that number up. We asked. It really had 3,000 calories. But since we both ate so healthily for our meals, we figured it'd be fine to splurge on the next 2 days suggested calorie intake. 

So there you have it. The story of two sisters' journey through split ends, Mardi Gras de Mayo, vegetarian meat, and a dessert made of thunder thighs and lard. Thanks for reading. Until tomorrow.....

5 comments:

  1. So cute. If you ever get mad at Kelly, take her to a "real" diner. Or like my oh-so-thoughtful boyfriend did once, a steakhouse (He PROMISED me it wasn't a steakhouse beforehand, even though he spends half of the meals we eat together trying to convince me to un-become a vegetarian). Coversations there normally go like this:
    *scanning menu for anything that does not involve at least two meats, one of them fried*
    "Can I have the baked potato soup without bacon on top?"
    "Actually, there's bacon in the soup... but it's only a little bit..."
    "Okay, scratch that. Can I have green beans-"
    "Oh, those have baken in them too. Actually, they steep in bacon grease for an hour."
    "Can I just have bread, I guess?"
    "Do you mid if it has bacon butter on it?" Haha.
    I'm glad you guys have so much fun together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BAHAHA!!!!! Wow. Nice Blake. Kelly will be vegetarian for a while and then she'll switch to something so I'm not too worried about trying to "un-vegetarian-ize" her at this point. Haha. And yeah, about the bacon.....everything's better with bacon ;]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am lucky enough to have a husband who accommodates my need to get my hair cut every 6 weeks! Truly. He always makes it work in his schedule and the budget. I'm lucky.

    And you girls are just too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Nicole! Bigs kuddos to Travis for that!

    ReplyDelete