Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I'll Tell You When You're Older

If I had any male followers I would not post this entry but considering all of my followers are females I'm going for it. It might be a little to much info for some but I thought it was funny and it was a first so I'm going to blog about it. 

Today Kayden saw a pink plastic cylinder in the bathroom trash can. I'll save you the grossness of explaining exactly what it is and just point out that this particular item is used for feminine care....during that special time each month. Yeah, so you get it, right? Obviously these are not made pink in order to attract the attention of four year old little girls but that's exactly what happened. Upon seeing it, without a moment's hesitation, Kayden promptly inquired, "Hey Mommy, what's that pink thing?" I decided to save her the scrutiny of an in-depth explanation of a woman's menstrual cycle and chose rather to just say it is something special just for mommies. This vague answer didn't satisfy her curiosity in the slightest. "I know, but what is it?" she asked again. Then it happened. I said the words that every parent says at some point. For the first time "I'll tell you when you're older" escape my lips. I didn't even think. It just came out. I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing at myself once I heard those words. Good thing when you become a parent you automatically acquire the super power of being able to pull things out of thin air in situations like this one. Whew. Crisis diverted. Tell me about a time your parental super powers saved the day. 

Thanks for reading. Until whenever....

3 comments:

  1. Since all my parental funnies are about you, I will just laugh at you becoming me...only much, much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids have still not really noticed the "stuff" associated with that joy of womanhood (heavy sarcasm there). Maybe because I lock the door when I go, and I try to use only my bathroom, and so on. I'm pretty sure Taylor will have an epic freakout when I do eventually tell her what she has to look forward to. Because I think it is pretty gross still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moment my husband and I realized we had messed up....

    When my daughter was young, we had a kitten that...didn't work out...so we got rid of it (gave it to a friend) and told her the kitten really belonged to "Bob" and had to go back to Bob's house. "Bob" actually ended up taking about three cats over the course of the next 11 years. And when my daughter was 13 years old (while we were eating dinner at Red Lobster) my husband and I laughed and said, "Remember Bob!"
    My daughter (to her horror) said, "Bob wasn't real?"
    oops.....

    ReplyDelete